Did You Know?
- 95% retention rate for freshmen
- 74% graduation rate within four years
- 21:1 student/faculty ratio
- 2,545 traditional faculty (has included 6 Nobel Laureates)
The Vires, Artes, Mores 1851 Scholarship encompasses the Seminole Spirit, awarding scholarships for students exemplifying academic strength (VIRES), artistic skill (ARTES), and exceptional character (MORES).
The torches of the seal symbolize the fire given to man by the Greek god Prometheus. This fire enabled man to elevate himself above the animals and become human. The torches of the FSU seal symbolize the purpose of the university: the passing on of knowledge from generation to generation.
Strength of all kinds; physical, moral, and intellectual – symbolizes the academic and athletic prowess that has characterized Florida State since 1851.
Knowledge; that which we acquire knowledge which transcends skills and embraces the appreciation of beauty – represents aesthetic beauty and the ability to harness that beauty and turn it into something that inspires.
Customs; that build character and tradition – represents the binding moral character that links every trait to a level of consciousness and responsibility.
The purpose of this scholarship is to award deserving students funding towards payment of undergraduate studies. The scholarship is $1,851 (maximum) per student - the amount reflects the FSU establishment year of 1851.
Once the SCGO selection committee chooses the yearly recipients, funds are disbursed to the Office of Financial Aid to be used by the student towards university fees and books.
- Be enrolled or enrolling as a full-time student in good standing, as defined by the University, and must maintain a 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Be an undergraduate student (graduate studies are excluded)
- Be a resident of one of these Florida counties: Orange, Osceola or Seminole
- Show active community involvement through past or ongoing participation in athletics, the arts, civic community service, or other activities
- Demonstrate a strong interest and desire to attend Florida State University
Students should log into FS4U at the following link to submit an application: https://fsu.academicworks.com/opportunities/14063
Student must also submit the following:
- Name and email address of an individual familiar with your academic capabilities and/or academic interests, preferably a current or past instructor or adviser, who will submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Named individual cannot be a family member.
- An essay (2 pages or less) explaining Why you want to attend FSU and How this scholarship will aid you in your time at FSU.
Accepting applications until 02 Jun each year